On September 15th, 2011 IDEM held a public meeting to address the air permits being issued for Steel Dynamics Inc.
59 people were in attendance and spoke of fear of pollution from Superior Aluminum, and did not want to have air permits approved for the new LaFarga copper plant.
We have included the questions (below are citizens’ questions) that were NOT answered during this 4 hour meeting and we are requesting they are answered for the health of the public OR deny SDI’s air permit request.
- Who will watchdog any monitors that are placed? How often will they be monitored? (heavy metals, particulate matter, )
- How are we to be assured that SDI will conform to the Federal Clean Air Act?
- If these regulations are not followed, what is the consequence to the business?
- What fines are associated with non-compliance? public hearing/ legal action / law suit applicable?
- If a fine were levied, where would the money go?
- Can we test the air now BEFORE this plant goes up and then AFTER the plant is in operation if air permit is granted? (benchmark)
- If there is something in existence of what is upwind and downwind to monitor the air quality…so is it better/worse upwind/downwind?
- Where are the other monitors in existence around our area. The website given by IDEM http://www.in.gov/apps/idem/smog/ does not seem to contain specifics of location.
- If the current levels downwind exceed the NAAQS, will the permit be issued for the new plant?
- Can the combination of toxins from the SDI LaFarga Copper plant and the SDI Superior Aluminum Plant mix together to create something worse? Like a supertoxin?
- Were any exemptions awarded for any of the “6 criteria pollutants” or any others reported with IDEM and EPA?
- IF any exemptions were granted, what part of the process of the approval be challenged?
- What is the AVERAGE limit of air pollution LaFarga Copper plant expect to emit? How did they get their preliminary findings since this will be the “first copper plant of it’s kind, except for the one in Spain”? Who did the testing and were the tests paid for by SDI?
- If something technical or human error occurs, what backup system (in case of emergency) is in place to ensure no additional harmful pollutants will escape? What monitor would they have, if any, that would keep track of the number of emissions released during a break down, whether technical or human error?
- Where will the waste from the bag houses be deposited?
- Will any violations cause the exemptions to be revoked?
- How will relocation/expansion of the Bandelier Ditch (#3) affect the storm sewer/sanitary sewer?
- If any pollutants are being discharged into this ditch, what is being monitored or recorded and reported? Where will this information be available?
- Will their be a long term control plan for CSO’s where the sanitary /storm sewers are to be installed completely separate per the Clean Water Act and City of Fort Wayne Long Term Control Plan?
- Will SDI be responsible for testing runoff or non-point source pollutants from the two facilities that will be located .6 mile from each other?
- Will this plant will have a retention pond or a detention pond? CONFIRMING THERE WILL BE NO NPDES PERMIT?
- Where will the waste water from the bag houses be deposited?
- Does the pond fall under Rule 5 of the IAC 326 for surface water if there are no chemicals going into it? Where are the reports found for Waterways of the U.S.?
- Please submit the blueprint/schematics for the ditch/direction of the ditch for discharge into New Haven as a straight pipe OR to Fort Wayne Filtration Plant?
- How many gallons of water per month will be used at the new copper plant? Will the water be purchased from City of Fort Wayne or a well be drilled?
- There are 22 who have attended a local community meetings who are on wells within 3 miles of the plant. How will their well water supply be directly effected?
- Do you know the current levels of heavy metals in these wells?
- Where are the reports or monitoring that will test water quality upstream and downstream?
- How much water is used in the process of making 1 ton (2,000lbs) of steel? 1 ton of copper? 1 ton of aluminum?
What are the current levels of Mercury and Lead in the soil surrounding the plant and the properties most affected by current emission.
Farm land and home owners properties must be included.